Learn how to upgrade your document themes in Tradify. This article covers some frequently asked questions on our new document style.
A preview of the new document styles within Tradify.
How to upgrade
- Go to either Invoices or Quotes.
- Click on any Draft invoice or quote, under the Document Theme drop-down box there should be a green box that says ‘Style Upgrade Available'.
- Click on this, then click ‘Add this upgrade’.
- It should automatically archive your old document themes, and apply your new document theme when you can adjust your new themes.
Watch Tradify's new document themes in action
Understanding your document style upgrade
What happens when I accept the document style upgrade?
There are a number of steps that will be performed automatically on your account.
- First we create an upgraded copy of all of your existing themes (preserving their settings in the process).
- We then rename your old themes by adding ‘(Old)’ to their names, and archive them.
- Next, we update your default theme and customer-specific themes so that they point to the new versions of their respective themes.
- Finally, we update all of your draft documents to the latest version of your themes.
Once you’re done, we recommend you explore the range of colours you can apply to your new themes. These can really help take your branding to the next level!
This prompt will appear asking you to upgrade to our newest document style.
What happens to my existing documents when I upgrade?
The upgrade is applied in such a way that your existing documents (with the exception of Drafts) will be left as they are. That is, if you were to view or print an old invoice you had created and approved prior to upgrading, it should look exactly the same.
What about old documents I have already sent to my customers which contain a link to view? Will they be changed or upgraded?
No, similarly to historic documents viewed or downloaded within Tradify, any historic documents that were sent to customers by email before the upgrade will remain unchanged following the upgrade (provided they are not Draft status).
What if I want to go back to the old-style documents?
You can still use your old Document Themes if you need to by un-archiving any old themes you wish to use. That said, we believe that the new design is an improvement over the old design in every way and would be surprised if you wanted to go back. If something isn’t working for you with the new design, please let our support team know and we’ll do our best to rectify this.
Are there any downsides to ignoring the upgrade and keeping my documents the way they are?
For the time being, you only lose out on the enhancements we’ve already shown you. In future, however, you will miss out on further improvements to these documents as we will be focusing on the new format going forward.
How long does the upgrade take?
The process is very fast, it should complete in just a few seconds.
Is there a cost or any fees involved?
This upgrade is 100% free of charge to all Tradify customers.
Will I get to keep all of my Document Theme settings?
Absolutely! We have designed the new format to be fully backwards compatible with the existing Theme settings, and all of your old settings under each theme will be preserved during the upgrade.
What if I have more than one Document Theme, does that affect the upgrade?
Multiple themes are no problem! All active (non-archived) document themes will be brought across during the upgrade process. If you have any archived themes that you would like upgraded to the new styling, please un-archive them before proceeding with the upgrade.
What happens if I have a centred or page-width logo currently?
Page-width (or very wide) logos are still supported with the new style by using the Centred logo option. In this case your logo will be centred at the top of the page, and your company contact details will sit below that. If you use this option, we highly recommend you review your contact details to minimise the number of lines of text. You may also want to try using either a left or right aligned logo layout with the new design, in case these work better for you.
Making the most of your new document style in Tradify
Are there any other changes besides the look of the Documents?
- Document titles now support both upper and lower case letters.
- The document number is now larger and more prominent on the page.
- Quotes and invoices will now show a site address when the ‘Show job address’ theme setting is enabled and no job is linked (common for quotes). If a job is linked to the quote or invoice, then the job address will be displayed as before.
Does Tradify have any recommendations for getting the most out of the new document themes?
Absolutely, here are a few tips:
- Don’t forget to choose a Theme colour that matches your branding, it can really help your documents look their best!
- If you want your Descriptions and Terms and Conditions to match the rest of the document, ensure you choose the font ‘Roboto’ and select an appropriate text size.
- You may want to trim any unnecessary padding (empty space) from around your logos and re-upload them to ensure they look their best. As always, high resolution images are recommended.
- It’s worth reviewing your company's contact information (saved in the theme settings) now that the layout has changed. If you previously had trouble fitting your email address, please try again as it’s now likely to fit.
- If you want your descriptions and Terms and Conditions to match the rest of the document, ensure you choose the font ‘Roboto’ and select an appropriate text size.