Understand more about creating a Time and Materials Invoice on Tradify's web app. You generate these invoices to bill for labour and materials used in your work.
Use this option if you want to invoice labour and materials against the work you've done.
You can create Time and Materials Invoices in a variety of ways, including:
- within the Invoices Dashboard
- from your Dashboard
- in a Customer Profile.
The process is similar once navigating through to those dashboards but in this article, we'll focus on our recommended approach: from a Job. Creating a Time and Materials Invoice from a Job means it's easier to track time from the Timesheets feature and materials from Purchase Orders.
Creating a Time and Materials Invoice (within a Job)
Firstly, open up the relevant job and navigate to the Invoice tab, then select "New Invoice".
Of the four tabs presented, select "Time and Materials from Job".
Note: Once you select "Time and Materials from Job", the following two options are also presented:
- Use cut-off date - This option allows you to invoice costs entered up until a certain date. For more details on this process, please see here.
- Group materials into a single line item - This option will group all material costs into one single line item on the invoice.
When you're ready, select "Create draft Invoice".
Note: Tradify will now generate the draft invoice for you. Unless you've enabled the setting to "group line items togather", Tradify will list each labour and material cost for you on the invoice.
Note: Labour will automatically be grouped by billing rate type.
Understanding Invoice Fields
Below is a list comprehensive list of what each field represents on the invoice:
- Customer – The customer for who the invoice will be assigned.
Note: This will automatically default to the Customer assigned to the Job.
- Site - Use this if your customer has separate physical locations and you wish to record which customer location this invoice is for. For more information on setting up and configuring sites, please see here.
- Pricing Level - Use this field to determine which pricing is set, to charge on this invoice. For more information on setting up and configuring this, check out Tradify's Pricing Levels.
Note: This will automatically default to the jobs pricing level.
- Invoice Date – The date at which the invoice is entered. This defaults to today's date.
- Due Date - The date at which the invoice is due for payment.
- Reference – A customer reference or order number.
- Document Theme - This represents the invoice layout theme to use when printing or emailing this invoice to a customer. You can find out more about Document Themes here.
- Description – Use this field to enter a description of what the invoice is for.
- Notes - Use this section to add notes and/or files to your invoice. For more information on attaching files, please see here.
Note: Notes are for internal purposes only and are not customer-facing. If you'd like to add additional labour or material costs to your invoice, you can do so by using the Add Line Item function.
- Once you've added all the necessary details to your invoice, you can either save it as a draft or approve it to lock it for editing by using the Approve button.
Note: Once an invoice has been approved, it cannot be altered. If you’re not ready to approve the invoice just yet, click on Save as Draft. This will save the invoice in the invoices list under the Draft tab.
Adding Material Costs to Invoices
Check out Adding Material Costs to Invoices.
Adding Time/Labour to Invoices
Check out Adding Time/Labour to Invoices
Creating a Time and Materials Invoice on Tradify's mobile app is easy. You'll follow similar steps to the web app but you'll find there is a shortcut on your Dashboard.
Creating a Time and Materials Invoice on Tradify Mobile
- On your Dashboard, select the blue + button under the Invoices section.
- Select a Customer.
- Select Time and Materials Invoice.
- Select a Job, Cut Off Date and whether you'd like to Group materials into a single line item, if applicable.
- Select Done.
- Enter in the details as necessary and either Approve or Save Draft.