This article is for small businesses who use Xero.
- Set a lock date to stop changes being made to transactions during a past period.
- You can change and remove the lock date at any time.
About lock dates
- You need the adviser user role to set and change lock dates.
- You'd typically set a lock date when your financial records are being prepared for the year, or at the end of a sales tax period.
- After you set a lock date, users can't add or edit transactions in Xero if the transaction date is on or before the lock date.
- Users can still create draft invoices, bills and expense claims, and submit these items for approval, and save draft manual journals.
- You can set lock dates for all user roles, or all user roles except the adviser user role.
Set a lock date
- In the Accounting menu, select Advanced, then click Financial settings.
Under Lock Dates, enter the date to lock transactions at.
- Click Save.
Remove a lock date
Users with the adviser user role can remove lock dates temporarily to allow changes to transactions.
- In the Accounting menu, select Advanced.
- Click Financial settings.
- Under Lock Dates, delete the date in the Lock Date field, then click Save.